Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Rix RAW Recap- 4/11/11


Professional wrestling has been a passion of mine since I was just a small Hulkamaniac. I've found my love and respect for the industry has grown and evolved over the years, through ups and downs. Despite many assertions that mainstream professional wrestling isn't at its top form right now, I've somehow managed to get back into it to the point where I find myself not only willing, but qualified to comment on some of the live events.

This post will be something of an experiment to see if that thought is true, as I'll run down the events of last night's episode of WWE RAW and give my impressions about its individual parts and itself as a whole.

  • The Gauntlet is Thrown: RAW opens with what tends to be its opening, and that is a lot of exposition. However, I actually like the direction this RAW took, and as Cena started talking about the predictable stuff (his Wrestlemania experience, his challenge to the Rock), he's actually interrupted not by one, but by four other superstars each asserting their right to get a piece of the spotlight Cena seems to bogart all for himself. What results is the issuing of a 5-man Gauntlet match with Cena, Orton, Ziggler, Morrison, and R-Truth for the number one contender's spot. I like the almost self-referential nature of this opening, and felt it was a nice carrot on a stick to keep you around for the main event, if only to see something different.
  • Kong is koming: A promo for Awesome Kong plays, which for me is both good and bad. Good because I think Kong is great and will bring a much-needed element to a fairly weak women's division in WWE (outside of Beth Phoenix, Naty Neidhart, and a few others), but also bad because I'm not sure if WWE's audience ever cares that much about actual competitive women's wrestling. Case in point...
  • Eve Torres Loses to one of those Bella twins: This wasn't a bad match, especially not from a Diva's standpoint, but the fact that nothing got any sort of crowd reaction, not even the finish (which came out of nowhere, if you ask me), just reinforces how bored the WWE audience is with the Diva's title. It changes hands. Nobody cares. Even I, who acknowledge it was a decent match, didn't FEEL anything from it (and don't take that out of context).
  • Sin Cara Arrives: A luchador getting a huge push in WWE? Well, I don't expect it to last long, but Sin Cara has been pretty impressive with his athleticism in limited appearances. Here on RAW, he puts on a great match with Primo, and I mean MATCH because it isn't a squash by any measure of the term. Great spots, good back and forth, and despite a botch towards the end, an impressive finish. I look forward to seeing a lot more of Sin Cara.
  • Corre-ing the APPLE: The Corre nearly disbands after some in-fighting, which made me VERY hopeful as the Corre has done worse than nothing in recent weeks. However, they're interrupted by the odd comedy stable of Santino Marella, calling themself APPLE (which has the "way too talented to be here" Daniel Bryan on it). I expected APPLE to win and the Corre to be over and done with for good, but sadly the Corre squeak by and live to see another week in a forgettable 8-man tag match. Probably the lowest point of the show.
  • Edge says Goodbye: Edge has been one of the superstars of WWE that I've seen arrive and now leave in my lifetime, and it's really sad to see him go. In an extremely heart-felt speech, Edge relayed his health troubles, recanted memories (all of which I remember personally), and said goodbye to the business and fans he loves. Genuinely heart-wrenching, and I am one of many who will be an Edge-head for life. Thanks, Edge.
  • The Gauntlet: Lastly, the lengthy main-event takes place with Miz and Riley at ringside. While that personally made the ending of the match fairly predictable for me to call right off the bat, this was still a fairly entertaining main event. It had its high points and low points, but it was pretty damn hard to call, especially after Orton was eliminated early on and R-Truth made it all the way to Cena. Even the "predictable" ending turned out to have a swerve, as after Miz and Riley interfere with the finale of Cena vs. R-Truth, the RAW GM buzzes in to make the Extreme Rules title match a triple threat between Truth, Cena, and Miz. I'm not certain how the match will turn out in the end, but the Gauntlet was entertaining, made R-Truth seem like a genuine contender, and gave the writers something to build up over the next few weeks.
Overall, last night's RAW was extremely enjoyable. It did have its ups and downs, but bolstered by some good story-telling, a strong showing by Sin Cara, an emotional farewell by Edge, and a lengthy and fairly entertaining main event, it was a RAW that used its time effectively and has me intrigued to see more.

4 stars out of 5.

3 comments:

  1. I watched last night too.

    The response to the Divas truly is pitiful at this point (deserved or not, I don't know). I'm not sure there has been a Diva that has really captivated the fans since Candice Michelle.

    The Sin Cara vs Primo match was probably the best.

    Edge leaving :'(

    I was going to be satisfied with the outcome of The Gauntlet match as long as Dolph Ziggler didn't win...Guess it's 'cause I'm not a big Smackdown fan. And please let the title switch hands at Extreme Rules. The Miz? He is decent at working the mic, but a legitimate threat in the wring? What ever happened to dudes that were actually scary. HHH, Taker, Stone Cold?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's where the writers have really failed with Miz.

    Instead of being the "love to hate 'em" guy like early Y2J or even Ted Dibiase where you really WANTED to see them lose, you can't take Miz seriously because he hasn't even won a match legitimately in forever AND nobody even seems to be paying attention to him.

    Case in point, Cena is more interested in his rivalry with the Rock which isn't even going down until next year, and following the Gauntlet, Cena was more into pushing around R-Truth than actually paying any attention to Miz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And why did I spell ring, "wring"?
    Wring just looks bad...jesus.

    ReplyDelete