Saturday, December 11, 2010

2010 VGA's: The Trailer Reveal Countdown...


ANOTHER LIST?! Well... sometimes that's just how it goes down in the world of bloggin'.
Tonight, it was Spike TV's VGA's, a now yearly thing where Spike tries to act like they know what they're doing when it comes to relating to a video game-playing audience. Yeah, this thing kinda sucks, but there is ONE aspect that always almost makes it worthwhile, and that is the brace of games that get revealed. Not every one is a gem, sure, but most of these things are genuinely exciting. So, without anymore preface, I'm going to list, in ascending order, how I ranked the new shiz-nit that Spike was unveiling tonight.

13.) Deadliest Warrior: The Game DLC:
Ugh, just go away... please. Nobody wants to play this game, Spike, so just stop it.

12.) Forza Motorsport 4:
This really has no bearing on the quality of the trailer or the eventual quality of Forza Motorsport 4, but I just can't get excited about this game. I'm not a huge racing fan (as you'll probably hear about three more times in my review of Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit), nor have I followed the Forza series up until this point. A fine trailer. A fine series. I'm just not a fan.

11.) Thor:
I'm plenty excited for the film adaptation of Marvel's mighty Thor, but this video game rendition seems a little bit too by the numbers to be something special. Don't get me wrong, it certainly had some cool moments and looked to be a prequel to the movie's plot, a move I'm always fond of. Still, without any discernible unique qualities, and without the hard edge of a comic book adaptation like, say, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, it's probably going to be less than noteworthy when all is said and done.

10.) Mortal Kombat:
Mortal Kombat looks like it's going to be an extremely fun throwback to the series' roots, but this trailer was pretty damn lame. I mean, you have the return of Mortal Kombat, and now Kratos, the God of friggin' War is going to be included in the PS3 version. You'd think this would call for a trailer of epic-ness. Unfortunately it just wasn't, and that means its inclusion on the VGAs doesn't crack my top 10.

9.) SSX: Deadly Descents:
The return of one of my favorite franchises is definitely something I'm excited about (and more than a little surprised). This new, somewhat darker direction for the series is definitely looking intriguing with snowboarders taking a more cut-throat and dangerous approach to the slopes. The trailer was impressive in spots, but the lack of any real gameplay and some rather cheesy sections dulled some of my enthusiasm. Still keeping an eye on this one, however.

8.) Insane:
The collaboration between Guillermo del Toro and the video game industry is one that was highly anticipated, and I definitely was anticipating the trailer for the now-titled game, Insane, that is in the works. There was sure a heck of a lot of disturbing imagery, and its unsettling nature and ambiguous title (not to mention del Toro's name on it) makes me chomping at the bit to see what the heck this game is. The only downside? Coming in 2013. Really? 2013?! The fucking world could be ended at that point?! WHY THE HELL ARE YOU ANNOUNCING A GAME FOR 2013 ALREADY?!

7.) Prototype 2:
Prototype was a game that really had a lot of potential, but eventually succumbed to unpolished flaws and its similarities to another super-powered series, inFamous. Prototype 2 looks to be taking that potential and amping up the crazy factor to eleven. It's good to see it changing and evolving, and the story elements alone made this new Prototype a stand-out.

6.) Resistance 3:
I'm quite the sucker for a trailer with live-action footage in it. That can pretty much explain Resistance's high placement on my list. Oh, and it also showed a ton of gameplay that looked pretty impressive, something that a majority of trailers failed to do.

5.) Portal 2:
Ah yes, one of a couple of series that Valve can actually release in a timely fashion. What can be said about Portal? I know it's a great game. You know it's a great game. This new one looks like it's really running with the co-op ideas, and those darn robots are just too darn charming. I expect another classic.

4.) Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception:
I've only played a little of the Uncharted games, but there's no denying their cinematic appeal. The more that this trailer showed, the more I just kept asking, "What the heck happened here?!". That'll undoubtedly be part of the fun of Nathan Drake's new adventure, and to most people (yes, even me) that's exciting. Many would probably put this as the highlight of the night, but for me, it just cracks the top 5.

3.) Batman: Arkham City:
Wow, this trailer. This was a ridiculously dark and brutal trailer that sets a heck of a stage for the next Batman adventure. Some people undoubtedly won't know who the heck Hugo Strange is, but it's not important. What's important is that Rocksteady knows its Batman, and isn't going to pull any punches when it comes to the sequel to my personal favorite game of last year.

2.) Mass Effect 3:
I absolutely love Mass Effect. Saying as much, there was no way that a Mass Effect announcement wasn't going to at least make it into my top 3. However, after all the speculation of Bioware's teaser, we finally see that... well really nobody ever knows what the heck they're talking about. This is Mass Effect, same as it ever was. The stakes may be higher and the locations different, but this is undoubtedly Mass Effect. I wouldn't have it any other way.

1.) Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim:
Often times, I've found myself asking... myself, "Self... when do you think we'll see another Elder Scrolls game?" Well tonight, we got our answer. On November 11, 2011, we will see the release of Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, and it sure had one hell of an epic trailer to go along with it. Did it show any gameplay? No. Does it really go too in-depth as to what's gonna be going on? No. Was it an awesome display of the kind of living history, high fantasy, and impeccable lineage the Elder Scrolls series has? Oh heck yes. That's why Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim makes it to number one on my list.

That's it, folks. Hopefully I'll be back here on my blog with a review or two, and I perhaps have a little something in the works at the moment... or maybe I'm just effing with you. Either way, here's to video games and to life.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment