Saturday, December 4, 2010

Top 10 Disney Animated Songs


Say what you will about Disney as a corporation or even about some unfortunate misogyny involved in their earlier projects, their animated films have shaped many childhoods for countless years now. A huge part of that has to do with the music included. I cannot recount the times wherein, even at my current age of 22, I found myself humming, singing, or straight up belting out my favorite Disney Animated Songs.

So that got me thinking, in my opinion (whatever it's worth), what are the top ten greatest songs that have been included in Disney's animated exploits over the years. To be clear, the man-child that I am insists on including even recent Disney films, so don't be surprised (and you shouldn't be since I'm telling you right now), to see a Pixar film in there or even a few of the more recent traditional Disney animated films included in this countdown.

But, I shouldn't delay this any longer. Without anymore preface, let's jump into what I consider the top 10 Disney Animated Songs.

*HONORABLE MENTION*
The Monster's Inc. Company Play "Put That Thing Back Where it Came From or so Help Me!":

This little end credits sequence from Monster's Inc. is still strangely one of my favorite moments of the movie (and it isn't even part of the movie proper. Go figure). A reference to a throw-away gag from the movie, eventually Mike Wazowski does make good on his word and deliver one heck of a production for his pals at Monster's Inc. It might have just missed on making it into the countdown, but it's still a great musical number from a great movie.

10.) The Lion King, "Be Prepared":

Sung (in part) by Jeremy Irons playing the most foppish of African lions, Scar, this little diddy is one of actually many villain-centric songs that absolutely rock. Never mind the illusions to Nazi fascism and the incredibly weird terrain shifts going on (where the hell is this song taking place, right on top of an erupting tectonic plate!?), this song brings the right kind of jaunty pace and instant sing-ability that makes a great Disney song. Who doesn't love to be evil? Well... I don't really, and maybe that's why, despite the awesome-ness of this song, it only reaches number 10 on my countdown.

9.) 101 Dalmatians, "Cruella de Vil":

Perhaps because of lackluster direct to video sequels or some absolutely God-awful live action adaptations, 101 Dalmatians is a Disney classic that really doesn't get the recognition it deserves nowadays. Besides its unique premise, it features top-notch voice-acting and animation alongside a charming cast of characters. More importantly, nothing demonstrates the greatness of this film more than the song devoted to its absolutely manic antagonist, Cruella de Vil. What really makes this song work, however, is the delivery. Combined with the animation, it's just too perfect. Does that make it the best? No. In fact I'd rank it number 9 on my personal countdown. On another note, I've heard Selina Gomez has done a cover of this. I don't have anything against Ms. Gomez personally... but I'd rather NEVER have to hear that version.

8.) The Princess and the Frog, "Friends on the Other Side":

(unfortunately Youtube doesn't have a great video for this :/)
The latest traditionally animated Disney film, The Princess and the Frog is unfortunately a film I haven't seen the whole of yet. However, in the little I did see, I saw this fairly awesome song and dance number performed by the film's antagonist (I'm sensing a pattern with this countdown so far...) Dr. Facilier, AKA the Shadow Man. For those big on voice actors, you'll probably recognize the voice of Keith David doing the singing here, which quite frankly meant this song was bound to be on the countdown in some capacity. Other than that, what can be said about it? This is just an incredibly slick and catchy tune that proves that, even in the modern day, Disney and its associates still know how this whole animated musical thing works. Good enough to sneak past a couple numbers, but still number 8 on my countdown.

7.) Aladdin, "A Whole New World":

And now for our first ballad of the countdown. Yes, although I am a man (barely), I do enjoy a Disney love song here and there. Aladdin was probably my favorite movie for a good while as a kid, mainly because of that crazy Robin Williams and a positively kick-ass pair of games on the Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis. Even at my young age, though, I recall actually liking this mushy tune. It's probably because it really is more about magic and wonder than it is about love, but I still maintain that this is a good duet to sing with a special lady friend (not that I'd... know anything about that... I'm so desperately lonely). "A Whole New World" is number 7 on the countdown.

6.) Pinocchio, "When You Wish Upon a Star":

Nearing the midpoint of this countdown, we have one of, if not the most iconic of Disney songs. Heck, it's even the song that they use for their logo before films nowadays so I don't think it's unreasonable to assume almost everyone has heard this song. Maybe it's just the strange relation I feel to Jiminy Cricket, but I've always found this to be a song I can come back to whenever I'm feeling blue. It's a weird thing, thinking about this now just makes me feel old since Pinocchio is a movie I haven't seen in years and it was out many many years before I was even born. Before I get to feeling any older or sissier, let's move on...

5.) Sleeping Beauty, "Once Upon a Dream":

Well... so much for getting less sissy. Yes, Sleeping Beauty is my favorite of the early Disney classics. Something about the taut runtime and mix of the super-girly and fairly masculine really appeals to me. As such, the constant theme is this song, "Once Upon a Dream". It's a sweet little tune with a good melody, but more than anything I like it because it's, for all intents and purposes, it's a pick-up line. C'mon. Think about the lyrics and tell me otherwise. Hell, the prince himself even uses it as such after this little number is over. That's pretty pimp. Pimp enough to make number 5.

4.) Hercules, "I Won't Say I'm in Love":

Hercules was a movie that shoulda really been better than it was. Unfortunately, I really don't have too soft a spot for it nowadays. However, when I was making my list here, no less than TWO songs from that damn film came to mine, one being Michael Bolton's "I Can Go the Distance" and the other being this song. As much as I love Bolton, actually having seen him perform live at a charity marathon I participated in, this is just the better song. There really isn't even anything distinctly Disney about this song, I could see it being the conflicted love song in any musical, really, and that's what I think really makes it. The interplay between the singer and the back-up singers is fantastic, and overall it's just a really fun song. Meg's big number reaches number 4 on the countdown.

3.) Peter Pan/Pirates of the Caribbean, "A Pirate's Life for Me":

Wow. This song. This song is awesome. The unique juxtaposition of the jolly singing and the, quite frankly, savage lyrics is perfect. Pillage and plunder? Burn down the town? SURE! DRINK UP, ME HEARTIES! It's intoxicating. Yes, it may be a tad irresponsibility for Disney to make such an awesome song about such activities, but who the heck cares if this is the result. Whether you know it from Peter Pan, from the Pirates of the Caribbean ride, or from both, I defy you to dislike this song. It deserves nothing less than a spot in the top 3.

2.) Oliver and Company, "Why Should I Worry?":

Another movie that really doesn't live up to the quality of at least one of its songs is Oliver and Company. This wholly forgettable movie somehow featured what I consider to be one of the most awesome of Disney songs ever conceived of by Disney. That's Billy Joel you'll hear voicing and singing as Dodger, and what a great, swinging song it is. Heck, I like to ignore the fact that there's a film attached to this and just imagine that it's just a well-animated music video. Okay, that's kinda stupid, but don't let that diminish your enjoyment of the masterpiece that is this tune about street savoir faire. I still don't know what that means. What I do know is that "Why Should I Worry?" is number 2 on my countdown.

1.) Mulan, "I'll Make a Man Out of You":

This is the apex of greatness. Coming out of the second act of Mulan, we're hit with what can only be described as perhaps the most catchy, bad-ass, and overall amazing song that Disney can produce (I hope I'm not over-selling this one). This is the Disney equivalent of a Rocky training montage, and it is nailed to perfection. I feel like I'm doing it a dis-justice by talking about it, so I'll leave with this last sentiment. Listen to this song. If you're not singing along by the end, you are inhuman.

And speaking of inhuman, that brings us to the end of this inhumane (see what I did there?) exercise in self-indulgence. I hope, if you've gotten this far, that you enjoyed it, and I hope that you would share some of your personal favorites with me. I seriously like to hear how wrong I am about things. I'll just end this by saying that I love Disney, and I hope that that came through, above all else, in this countdown.

Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. I still think this list is awesome. It doesn't matter how fruity the song may seem to others. I would own every Disney Animated Film if I could. I love Disney.

    ReplyDelete